Miranda hallYes, it's true that blue light can cause macular degeneration, according to many experts, blue light has more damage to the retina. The human eye can filter ultraviolet and blue light, but with the increase of age, the lens of the eye will gradually turn yellow because of the hurt of blue light, and then, people are easy to suffer from macular degeneration, especially people who are above 50 years old.04/02/2013
LaurenYes, some researches have pointed out that the blue light would cause a photochemical reaction inside the eyes which could produce free radicals in the retinal pigment epithelium and the rods and cones of the eyes. It is believed by many researchers that these free radicals will interact with the high oxygen and lipid content in human rod and cone tips to produce abnormal chunks of metabolized waste inside the eyes that cannot be properly processed by the retinal pigment epithelium, which can clog up the maintenance system of macula and produce dry macular degeneration. There is a kind of substance which is called the melanin giving eyes their color, protecting the macula by trapping light rays so that the lights can not reach the macula and cause damage. Therefore, people with fair skin and blue or light-colored eyes may be particularly susceptible to macular damage by blue light due to their less melanin in their irises. In addition, when the light reaches the choroid and the retinal pigment epithelium of people with fair skin and blue eyes, there is less melanin there to absorb the radiant energy, leaving these tissues more vulnerable to light damage.04/03/2013
Mackenzie roseWell, yes, blue light can just lead to macular degeneration. And generally speaking, as we all know that excessive exposure to sunlight might lead to the development of Macular Degeneration, which is related with vision loss, in some cases. And some studies have shown that short wave radiation and blue light can impact the photoreceptor and RPE function. In that way, it will just lead to macular degeneration. And if you suffer macular degeneration, it will just weaken your eyes, leading to some serious eye problems, such as retinal detachment. And finally, blindness can be possible. So just be careful about blue light.04/08/2013
- Will smoking increase the risk and accelerate the development of cataracts, macular degeneration and optic nerve damages?
- Does the new treatment for macular degeneration really work?
- What Is Macular Degeneration Prevention Diet?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration Naturally?
- What Vitamins Are Good for Macular Degeneration Prevention?
- What Associates Charles Bonnet Syndrome with Age-related Macular Degeneration?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration ?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration From Getting Worse ?
- What are the best sunglasses for macular degeneration?
- Can glasses correct macular degeneration?