Firmoo > Answers > Eye Health >  question

Question

Ask questions

Noah rupert


12/21/2012

Is saliva good for eyes?

I heard somebody said that saliva is good for eyes. Is that true? Why?
Related Topics : eye health
Answer the question

Answers (4)

  • fergus

    12/26/2012

    Saliva is the water-like substance produced by salivary glands in mouth. About 99.5% of saliva is water, while the rest 0.5% includes enzyme, electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins and some antibacterial compounds. From its components we could know that saliva could be safely applied to eyes. With water and mucus, saliva is believed to lubricate eyes just as tear film. Some doctors recommend putting saliva in eyes to relieve eye dryness. Saliva is believed to be disinfectant too. This is why, most people believed, animals usually lick their wounds to expedite the recovery. Saliva could kill some bacteria in mouth and throat. So if you apply saliva in eyes, it might be helpful with bacteria killing and infections controlling. However, all these benefits are based on normal production of saliva. If there is something wrong with your salivary glands or mouth or throat, you'd better not do so in case any bacteria or virus in saliva will cause conjunctivitis.
  • Justin williams

    12/21/2012

    Well, yes, saliva can be good for eyes, so you can just try to use saliva. First, according to some researches, the most common advantage of saliva is helpful for dry eyes, for it can increase moisture in your eyes, and then relieve dry eyes. As we know that dry eyes can also lead to eye damage in your eyes, because of saliva, it will just decrease risk of the eye damage and eye infection too. Anyway, it can be beneficial to your eyes.
  • ecxsrkes

    06/01/2015

    Not really. It depends, using saliva in the eyes can help people with dry eyes experience increased moisture. Saliva used in this way may even save a person’s sight and prevent further dry eye damage. Saliva actually has healthy components, such as antibacterial and antiviral properties. Saliva is also comprised mostly of water and, in come cultures, is believed to be a natural disinfectant. These benefits, however, are not present in all types of saliva, as abnormal saliva cultures may reveal the presence of disease or infectious properties. So, while there may be benefits in using saliva in the eyes for some, this may not be true for everyone
  • hand_and_soul

    12/24/2012

    Yes, saliva is good for eyes because of the containing lysozyme in the saliva which could kill the bacterium in the eyes. However, you should better use the eye drops to make the eyes feel moisture and get out of the bacterium. You could use the saliva to adopt on the place where is bitten by the mosquito which could make you feel not that itchy.
Jumpto