Vitamin C and bioflavonoid for healthy eyes
Besides vitamin A, vitamin C is also one type of antioxidants that are used to prevent oxidation in human body including our eyes. Another similar nutrient is bioflavonoid.
Plenty of studies suggest that vitamin C can prevent the formation of cataracts on the lens and vitamin C and E are proved to slow down the progression of age-related macular degeneration. By controlling and decreasing intraocular pressure in the eye, vitamin C is also thought to potentially prevent and relieve glaucoma. Being able to deal with so many eye diseases, vitamin C is a superhero among various antioxidants.
Sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, berries, peppers, tropical fruits, potatoes and green vegetables. Vitamin C can neither be produced nor be stored by human body, so that daily intake from external foods is essential. The U.S. recommended daily allowance of vitamin C is 60 milligrams, both for women and men. Like vitamin A, the level of vitamin C is lower in people who smoke, drink or have diabetes. These people should take more fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C.
There are still some tips about vitamin C consumption. Since the nutrient can be destroyed by light, you’d better buy orange juice in opaque plastic jugs or cartons, rather than in glass bottles. In addition, fresh foods always contain more vitamin C than frozen or canned foods.
Having the nickname of “vitamin P”, bioflavonoids also perform as antioxidants. Experts also recommend bioflavonoids for eye health. Good sources of bioflavonoids include bilberry, citrus fruits, red and purple fruits and so on. Fortunately, bioflavonoids always appear in together with vitamin C, which also explains why bioflavonoid is called a sidekick of vitamin C.
- I lost vision in my one eye trying to treat something, should I make the other eye match?
- What do zonules do in the human eye?
- Have you ever seen a bright purple light after you closed your eyes?
- What's it called when your eyes go out of focus randomly?
- What is the effect of alcohol on the eye?
- How to relieve from high eye pressure and what is treatment?
- Will my eye astigmatisms go away at last? Will astigmatisms be inherited?
- Why is exercise good for my eyes?
- Do you have a gold ring around your eyes?
- Why do my eyes sensitive to light? And why can't focus well?