Amsler grid for macular degeneration test by yourself
Macular degeneration, glaucoma or other eye diseases may damage your macula or the optic nerve, which will quite probably lead to vision loss. Early detection and treatment are crucial to minimize the risk of suffering lifelong vision loss. Detecting any eye disease is not an easy job. For instance, glaucoma detection requires firstly an eye doctor to measure the patient’s intraocular pressure. Macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy are even more complex.
Amsler grid enables people to detect AMD conveniently
Researchers are working hard to develop convenient yet effective ways to detect complicated eye problems and diseases. Today, one of the convenient devices for discovering age-related macular degeneration is the Amsler grid. It can not be used as a replacement of a doctor visit. For a formal diagnosis, visiting an optometrist or ophthalmologist is indispensable.
The design of Amsler grid and its usage
In detail, an Amsler grid comprises of a center black dot and many horizontal and vertical lines. This grid-based test does not require any additional preparation work or auxiliary devices. The examinee can just keep natural, e.g. wearing prescription eyeglasses if necessary and placing the grid at a comfortable distance.
How does the grid suggest signs of AMD?
For people who have macular degeneration, the grid will appear abnormally when they focus on the center dot of the grid with one eye covered. More specifically, AMD patients may see wavy, burry or distorted lines, missing areas, dark areas, or only some of the corners and sides. Once any of these abnormal conditions is experienced, it is a necessity to make a follow-up visit to an eye doctor.
- What Is Macular Degeneration Prevention Diet?
- Does the new treatment for macular degeneration really work?
- What Vitamins Are Good for Macular Degeneration Prevention?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration From Getting Worse ?
- What are the best sunglasses for macular degeneration?
- What Associates Charles Bonnet Syndrome with Age-related Macular Degeneration?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration Naturally?
- How to Prevent Macular Degeneration ?
- Will smoking increase the risk and accelerate the development of cataracts, macular degeneration and optic nerve damages?
- Can glasses correct macular degeneration?