GabrielActually, drinking alcohol heavily will do harm to our health. More specifically, it will do short term vision altering effects of alcohol on the eye as well as long term damages. When it comes to the short term effects, the alcohol will slower pupil reaction. Alcohol causes the iris to constrict and dilate at a much slower speed. This becomes an issue for drivers who have been drinking as they cannot adapt as quickly to oncoming headlights. They do also cause decreased contrast sensitivity. Alcohol reduces the ability of the eye to adjust vision for brightness and contrast by 30 percent at a blood alcohol level around the legal driving limit. Another it will cause eye twitching and increased dryness. These short-term vision altering effects from alcohol will go away on their own.06/03/2015
davidDrinking alcohol will also cause long-term damage such as increased cataract formation, increased risk for AMD, decreased vision due to vitamin deficiency, tobacco-alcohol amblyopia and prenatal alcohol exposure. Multiple studies have shown increased cataract formation in patients with higher alcohol consumption. Moreover, excessive exposure to alcohol in the womb can permanently affect the eyesight the baby. Many eye problems are associated with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome including underdevelopment of the optic nerve, difficulty with eye coordination, and the tendency for eyelids to droop. If you suspect you may be suffering from some long-term effects, make an appointment with your eye doctor immediately.06/03/2015
- Why is exercise good for my eyes?
- Will my eye astigmatisms go away at last? Will astigmatisms be inherited?
- Why do my eyes sensitive to light? And why can't focus well?
- How to relieve from high eye pressure and what is treatment?
- Do you have a gold ring around your eyes?
- What's it called when your eyes go out of focus randomly?
- What do zonules do in the human eye?
- I lost vision in my one eye trying to treat something, should I make the other eye match?
- Have you ever seen a bright purple light after you closed your eyes?
- How to prevent eyelashes from scratching your eyes?